Sunday, October 11, 2009

Warning: If you are getting married, DON'T register for gifts!

Okay so I know this is going to make me sound ungrateful and I promise that I am not, BUT I feel that it is my duty to warn all of the poor, naive, future brides...DON'T register. Sure registering for gifts is tons of fun when you are doing it. I mean who doesn't love going to a store and making a wish list of things for other people to buy for you. I will admit that you will also feel like a kid at Christmas when gifts start to arrive. It's really great coming home everyday and finding a new gift on your doorstep. That is where the fun ends.

First of all, AFTER writing (by yourself) ten thousand "thank you" notes...you will realize that you have no room to store all of these gifts. You will be newlyweds which means you are POOR. Your house will be way too small for all of these gifts. Now you won't figure this out until your Mom calls you six months after your wedding to let you know that your gifts HAVE to be moved out of her house.

Second, when you finally get around to getting the gifts from your parents house and putting them away....Suddenly you will realize that you have 3 blenders (eventhough you returned tons of stuff)! As a side note: your husband won't be any help in this situation....he will simply say "keep them all" and your reply will be "WHERE?....do you want to store them in the bathtub?"

Third, when you FINALLY find somewhere to store the gifts (in every corner, closet, and under every bed in your house...you will wonder why you even asked for most of these things. I'm sure when you are registering you have some fantasy of being the next Julia Childs or Martha Stewart. After six months, that dream will be gone. You will realize that being a "good" wife has nothing to do with cooking. Let's be realistic, my husband and I both work over 40 hours a week...I am not coming home to make homemade pizza....we will be calling Papa Johns, Dominoes and if he is really lucky (i.e. it is after payday) we will order Pizza Hut.

I know your Moms and Grandmoms have all of these wonderful things that you feel like you MUST have too, but remember they have collected these things over MANY years. Luckily, my Mom doesn't read my blog so she won't be telling me how unappreciative I am. By the way, I truly appreciate all of the gifts we were given...you ALL even got thank-you notes within six weeks after the wedding!

I am reading the book "The Undomestic Goddess"....how appropriate!

P.S. If you want to keep peace in your marriage don't go to Home Depot or Lowe's with your husband. It will just leave you wondering WHY we are passing by 10+ employees and won't ask them where the dryer cords are....you will break down and finally ask yourself...only to hear him say "I knew where they were."

By the way...I really do love my husband, but Men really are from Mars!

2 comments:

Heather said...

One of my sister's friends found a place that would let you return the gifts and put the money on a credit card. She registered for all this fancy china and stuff, then returned it all to pay for her honeymoon trip. So many people who are buying gifts from a registry, don't do it properly so that the registry shows that gift has been purchased. Or they see what you've registered for, and go buy it somewhere else. Thus the duplicated gifts.

Alicia said...

I must admit that this post is dead-on accurate! LOL! I have gotten the biggest kick out of reading it...You know what, alot of my gifts are still in the guest room at my mom's and you got your thank you notes out MUCH faster than me! LOL :) I'm so glad that we went through the wedding experience together!