Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Through my eyes.


When I walked into the polls to vote this morning, I didn't see the long lines or think about the long wait. All I saw was the 96-year-old lady who stood next to me in line waiting to vote. For the first time in her life she was given the choice to vote for an African-American nominee. I saw the hundreds of people who were voting for the first time, because for the first time they felt like their vote would make a difference. I saw three generations come to the polls together to vote. I thought of all of the people who had fought so hard to see a day when an African-American would be running as a Presidential nominee....and a woman would be running as a Vice Presidential nominee. I thought about those who are not alive to see it.

Regardless of how the election turns out...I have hope. Hope isn't something that can be taken lightly. I am grateful that we live in a country that is making progress and for that reason alone...I have hope!